|About Us||Home > About Us|
This School was established to perpetuate the memory of Sir Arcot Ramaswami Mudaliar, a renowned personality of the times, who was closely associated with the birth and growth of Tube Investments of India as its Founder - Chairman and later as the First President of the Company. It was in fitness of things, therefore, that the first school of the AMM Charities Trust started in 1958 was named after him.
The infrastructure of the school was created at a cost of Rs. 60 lakhs on a spacious 13-acre plot in Ambattur. Serving the educational needs of Ambattur Township and the surrounding villages the school was upgraded into a co-educational Higher Secondary School in 1978. The School today has a strength of about 2408 pupils including girls, 87 qualified teachers and other staff members. It offers quality education through Tamil and English medium and has a fair degree of success in its examinations. It has been consistently maintaining a good record in both academics and extra-curricular activities.
The primary school, started by Sri Natesa Iyer in Venkatapuram, Ambattur may be regarded as the nucleus. From its humble beginning the school has grown from strength to strength to become a leading higher secondary school of Ambattur.
In 1927, a registered society called the Ambattur Educational Society had taken over the management of the school and had developed it into a higher elementary school, which was called Sri Maha Ganesa Vidya Sala. The members of the society were very sincere in their efforts and thanks to them, the record of the school was one of steady growth. Due to their continuous efforts and the generosity of the public, the school was able to maintain a steady growth. The society then put up a permanent building for the school in 1953 at a cost of about Rs. 15,000/-. In the same year, after obtaining permission from the Department, a secondary school was started in the new building.
In the latter half of 1950 India began to industrialise. Thanks to the efforts of industrial pioneers like Sri. A. M. M. Murugappa Chettair, Ambattur became an important centre on the industrial map of India. The hectic industrial growth in and around Ambattur led to a need for providingSri. A. M. M. Murugappa Chettiar greater and better facilities for education. There was also a growing demand from the public for a High School in this locality because students at that time had to go a long way either to Villiwakkam or Trivellore for High School studies. Sri. C. R. Ramanathan, Retd D. E. O. and Headmaster, Sri Maha Ganesa Vidya Sala and Sri V. Swaminatha Iyer, President, Ambattur Educational Society met Sri. A. M. M. Murugappa Chettiar and Sri. A. M. M. Arunachalam and impressed upon them the need for a High School and convinced them to take up its management. The Ambattur Education Society willingly agreed to transfer the management of the Sri Maha Ganesa Vidya Sala school to A. M. M. Charities Tru st. The formal transfer of management took place on 12-09-1957.
Soon after the take over, the management of A. M. M. Charities Trust effected several improvements and took steps to upgrade the school. Our first Correspondent, Sri. M. M. Muthiah, and the first Headmaster, Sri. C. R. Ramanathan, spared no efforts in developing this school into a model institution.
After obtaining permission from the department of public instruction, IV form was opened in 1958 and V & VI forms followed in the next two years. In June 1959, the whole school was shifted from its old site to the three sheds put up on the new site, specially acquired by the management for the school. The new site consisting of 22.03 acres, situated on an elevated ground in the Madras Trivellore High Road, was amidst calm and picturesque surroundings.
The construction of the permanent buildings for the high school was entrusted to M/s.Coromondal Engineering Company - pioneers in building construction - and this was completed byThiru K Kamraj, Thiru C Subramaniam and Sir A. Ramaswami Mudaliar June 1960 in a record time. A special colourful function was held in the school premises on 22-06-1960, in which Honorable Chief Minister of Madras State, Thiru K Kamraj presided and the then Minister of Education, Government of Tamil Nadu, Thiru C Subramaniam declared open the new buildings and unveiled a portrait of Sir A. . Ramaswami Mudaliar. On 4-07-1960 Sir A. . Ramaswami Mudaliar visited the school along with Sri A. M. M Murugappa Chettiar and Sri. M. M. Muthiah. That was the beginning of Sir A Ramaswamy Mudaliar Higher Secondary School as it stands today.
The school became a full-fledged High School and the department accorded permanent recognition to Stds. VI and X in the following years. The management then took a progressive step by introducing English Medium in one section of each standard. Bifurcated courses of study with Secretarial and Engineering sections were also introduced in order to give equal importance to vocational education and training.
Today, the school has earned a good name in academic as well as extra curricular/sports activities. This record of performance by students has naturally created a great demand for admissions into the school and the management has been increasing the school strength in keeping with the demand. The school was upgraded into a Higher Secondary school on 12th July 1978 and a permanent recognition was accorded by the Education Department.
The Primary Objective of the School is to provide a quality education system with an emphasis on
- Moulding the personality of well-rounded, well-informed and socially conscious young citizens
- Participating regularly in co-curricular and sports activities
- Orienting all students to arts and culture
- Providing individual attention through good staff-student ratio
- Encouraging competent and well-qualified staff
- Creating a conducive atmosphere for superior value-based education
- Innovating a well-defined and relevant educational approach
- Enabling sound character formation through studies of national and international examples.
Managing Trustee, AMM Foundation
Correspondent & Secretary
- Secretary, A.M.M.Foundation
- Correspondent, SRMHSS
- Advisor-Schools, AMMF
- Headmaster & Ex-officio, SRMHSS
- Asst. Headmaster (Higher Secondary), Senior Most Teacher
- Asst. Headmaster (High School), Senior Most Teacher
- Asst. Headmaster (Middle School),Senior Most Teacher
- Senior Manager Administration, TICI
- Senior Officer-HR, TPI
- Senior most Non-teaching Staff